Tuesday, November 22, 2016

“Citizenship in School: Reconceptualizing Down Syndrome

Hayley Dias
Kliewer
Reflection/Extended Comments

While reading the article  by Jeannie Oakes I began to see many things at different angles reading about how different children are to one another. Looking at my peers blogs this week I can refer to Bianca's Blog. She refers to children with down syndrome and how they are looked at and treated differently. Because of there illness that they have there are no reasons for a child to feel different.


She referred to a documentary where it was about special education children, I went looking online for some about down syndrome where it talked about how schools need to take another kind of route in teaching other children with mental illnesses. I see it being as it being a good thing to involve special education children with other children in classrooms and not have them isolated because they are different. Because not child should be treated differently.


Having a mixed classroom is beneficial for not only the children but I feel for the teacher also because it gives a different good or bad learning pattern for them to follow. Understanding if there were more mixed classrooms in schools with children with down syndrome and other children it would take lots of time and evaluating of teaching but it would be a great thing to be down for children  to feel appreciated for who they are.


Jeanie Oakes, she refers to each of the classrooms she talked about as the "low ability", "high ability" and "regular". Classifying these classrooms I see as being a good but however bad thing, the consequences would be having the "regular kids vs the not" and I see this to be changed to have more and more mixed classrooms to benefit the children. 


Hear I have attached the video I found to be interesting that refer to children with down syndrom.


2 comments:

  1. Really well organized easy to follow and I loved the link at the end

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Hayley. I liked how you referred to Bianca's blog and included a video. I was bothered listening to the ignorance of the teacher interviewed saying she wasn't comfortable working with down syndrome children and they'd be better in a special education classroom.

    ReplyDelete